Pages

Wednesday 7 November 2012

EXERCISE: The forms of be (am, are, is)

EXERCISE 1: Choose the correct form of be (am, are, is).


1) I ______   a girl.

2) My father _______  at work.

3) Trixi and Susi _______  my cats.

4) The hamster ________  in the cage.

5) I _______  a painter.

6) My green pencil _______  on the floor.

7) Emma and Betty ________  good friends.

8) _________  you from Scotland?

9) His sister _________  seven years old.

10) We ________  children.



Answers:

1) I am a girl.
2) My father is at work.
3) Trixi and Susi are my cats.
4) The hamster is in the cage.
5) I am a painter.
6) My green pencil is on the floor.
7) Emma and Betty are good friends.
8) Are you from Scotland?
9) His sister is seven years old.
10) We are children.


EXERCISE 2: Put in the following forms of be (am, are, is) into the gaps. Do not use short/contracted forms.

1) My mother ______ in the kitchen.

2) The pupils _______ not at school today.

3) Maria's grandmother _______  from Brazil.

4) I ______ a football fan.

5) It ______ Sunday today.

6) They  in the car.

7) His pencil case  at home.

8) _______ you from Valencia?

9) I ______  not your friend.

10) Hey John! We______ here.


Answers:

1) My mother is in the kitchen.
2) The pupils are not at school today.
3) Maria's grandmother is from Brazil.
4) I am a football fan.
5) It is Sunday today.
6) They are in the car.
7) His pencil case is at home.
8) Are you from Sheffield?
9) I am not your friend.
10) Hey John! We are here.


EXERCISE 3: Put in the following forms of be (am, are, is) into the gaps in the text. Do not use short/contracted forms.

Peter Baker _______  from Manchester, but Paul and John ______  from London. Manchester and London  cities _______ in England. Hamburg ______ a city in Germany. Sandra ________ at school today. Jack and Peter _______ her friends. They ______  in the same class. Mr and Mrs Baker ______ on a trip to the USA to visit their cousin Anne. She _____  a nice girl. Peter says: "My grandfather ______ in hospital. I ________ at home with my grandmother." What time ______ it? It ________ 8 o'clock.  ______ you tired? No, I _____ not.


Answers:

Peter Baker is from Manchester, but Paul and John are from London. Manchester and London are cities in England. Hamburg is a city in Germany. Sandra is at school today. Jack and Peter are her friends. They are in the same class. Mr and Mrs Baker are on a trip to the USA to visit their cousin Anne. She is a nice girl. Peter says:"My grandfather is in hospital. I am at home with my grandmother." What time is it? It is 8 o'clock. Are you tired? No, I am not.



Found via: English-Hilfen.

No comments:

Post a Comment